Election Information


To vote in an election, a resident must register. To become registered to vote, you can visit the township office, register online, or at any Secretary of State branch office if you are 18 or older and are a legal citizen.

The clerk's office will be open from 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. the Saturday before each election.

Want to avoid going out in the cold and standing in line? Request to be on our Permanent AV Ballot Application List. What does this mean? Prior to every election you will receive in the mail an application for an AV Ballot. If you wish to receive a ballot by mail, simply complete the application and return it and a ballot will be sent. If you want to vote in the polls for that election, then do not return that application and show up at the polls on election day.

Have any of these questions? Click the links below to get answers. 

Am I registered to vote?

How do I register to vote?

Where can I view my sample ballot?

Where can I get an absent voter ballot application?

I am in the military. How do I vote?

Where is my polling location?

What are the new voter rights?

I am considering becoming an election inspector. How can I learn more?



Voters can satisfy the picture identification requirement by showing a Michigan driver’s license or a Michigan personal identification card. Voters who do not posses either document may show any of the following forms of picture identification as long as they are current:

    • Driver’s license or personal identification card issued by another state.
    • Federal or state government-issued photo identification.
    • U.S. passport.
    • Military identification card with photo.
    • Student identification with photo – from a high school or an accredited institution of higher education.
    • Tribal identification card with photo.
If you have any questions please feel free to call us at 517-788-4113 or email: elections@summittwp.com



Printable Forms:

Voter Registration Form

Election Inspector Application