- Meetings are the second Thursday of each month at 7:00p.m. in the Summit Township Hall, 2121 Ferguson Road. Applicant(s) or a representative must attend the meetings.
- Notice of the hearing will be sent to all property owners within 300 feet of the property where the variance is being requested, and one notice will be published in the newspaper explaining the request for the variance.
- Costs: There is an application fee payable at the time of filing. In addition, the applicant will be billed for the cost of the notice published in the newspaper and notices mailed out.
- In granting any variance, the Board of Appeals may prescribe appropriate conditions and safeguards in conforming with the Ordinance. Violations of such conditions and safeguards, when made a part of the terms under which the variance is granted, shall be deemed a violation of the ordinance.
- A variance granted under the provisions of the Ordinance shall become null and void unless the construction, occupancy of land or building authorized by such variance or permit has not commenced or taken place within one hundred eighty (180) days after the granting of such variance.
- No application for a variance, which has been denied wholly or in part by the Board of Appeals, shall be resubmitted for a period of three hundred sixty-five (365) days from such denial, except on grounds of new evidence or proof of changed conditions found by the Board of Appeals to be valid.
One of the following types of surveys are required:
- Stake survey or mortgage survey. (In some cases, survey of adjacent properties may meet this requirement)
- Pictures of all sides of the property, the area of the request and adjacent properties are required.
- The proposed variance shall be physically marked on the site so the Board of Appeals may make an on-site review of the proposed variance.
- Written statement(s) of neighbors concerning the request are acceptable. A variance from the terms of the Ordinance shall not be granted by the Board of Appeals unless and until a written application for a variance is submitted, demonstrating the following.
The following must be addressed in narrative form.
- The special conditions and circumstances exist which are peculiar to the land, structure, or building involved and which are not applicable to other lands, structures, or buildings in the same district.
- That literal interpretation of the provisions of the Ordinance would deprive the applicant of rights commonly enjoyed by other properties in the asme district under the terms of the Ordinance.
- That the special conditions and circumstances do not result from the actions of the applicant.
- That granting the variance requested will not confer on the applicant any special privilege that is denied by the Ordinance to other lands, structures, or buildings in the same district.
- That no non-conforming use of neighboring lands, structures, or buildings in the same district, and no permitted use of lands, structures, or buildings in other districts shall be considered grounds for the issuance of a variance.