Mon - Fri 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
517-788-4113 EXT. 231
The Township Treasurer must carry out responsibilities in various monetary areas important to the efficient fiscal operation of Township government. The MISSION of the Treasurer is to be responsive to the needs of the public and maintain a staff that is knowledgeable, helpful, and courteous.
It is imperative that the Township Treasurer maintain accurate records of all income, receipts, and disbursements. In addition, deposits are promptly recorded and any excess funds are invested in secure, interest bearing instruments which are outlined in the Township Investment Policy. By law the Township must have a written Investment Policy.
By statue the Treasurer is custodian of all monies belonging to the Township. The Treasurer must provide a system of checks and balances in the financial affairs with sound cash management practices being constantly followed. Every dollar earned in interest is important revenue to our budget. The Board members also receive a monthly "Approved Payment Report" showing all the checks that were written and are to be written for the month. All financial records are audited annually by an independent Certified Public Accounting firm.
Duties of Treasurer Department
· Collect all monies due the township.
· Deposit all township monies.
· Invest all monies to meet the cash flow needs of the Township.
· Administer and collect all specials and special assessment districts monies.
· Responsible for producing, mailing and collecting all winter and summer taxes.
· Distribute tax monies to each receiving governmental unit in a timely manner.
· Settle with county treasurer each March for the past tax year.
· Run or sign all township payroll and accounts payable checks.